Discuss the characteristics of leadership, the relationship of the leaders with their people and whether the attributes that the leaders possessed caused them to succeed or fail in TWO of the following groups.
Please note that a leader may be heroic, and that characteristic can certainly be discussed if appropriate, but this essay is on LEADERSHIP, not heroism, hence, the relationship of the leader with his people is an essential part of your essay.
Please note that not all leaders are heroes and do not change the theme, leadership, of this essay.
CHOOSE one numbered topic from GROUP I and one from GROUP II below for this essay. You may compare the two topics OR contrast the two topics, do not compare and contrast.
GROUP I: (Ancient Middle East)
1. Gilgamesh, with some historical discussion of the Mesopotamian lugal
2. Moses, agent of God in Exodus
3. Noah, as representative of humanity in Genesis
4. Abraham, chosen by God in Genesis
5. Eve, mother of all the living, in Genesis
6. King David in The Books of Samuel
7. King Saul in The Books of Samuel
GROUP II: (Ancient Greece)
8. Achilles, the best Greek warrior in The Iliad
9. Hector, chief Trojan warrior in The Iliad
10. Agamemnon, Mycenaean king in The Iliad
11. Helen, Queen of Sparta in The Iliad
12. Hecuba, Queen of Troy in The Iliad
13. Odysseus, King of Ithaca in The Iliad
14. Nestor, King of Pylos in The Iliad
• Your essay must contain a thesis, a persuasive argument, and specific examples from readings and lectures.
• Write complete sentences and organize your thoughts into paragraphs:
• Your introductory paragraph should contain your thesis statement (a stance on a debatable point) that engages the questions posed.
Include in your introduction a plan of argumentation that outlines the main points that you will make in defense of your thesis in the body of your essay.
The body paragraphs should contain topic sentences that outline the course of the paragraph and point back to the thesis statement.
The body paragraph should also contain evidence (in the form of quotations or paraphrasing with citation from the text) to support your ideas.
A concluding paragraph is required that ties your ideas together.
• Do not have less than 2000 words or exceed 2100 words.