Swamped with your writing assignments? Take the weight off your shoulder!
Invention (i.e., discovering what you’re going to say in this paper)
1. You must first make sure the issue you’ve selected is an argument.
2. I will want to know more about the issue and your relationship to it, so brainstorm/freewrite/publish answers to the following questions:
· How would you introduce this issue to an audience who knows nothing about it?
· What do you know about the issue already?
· How did you acquire your knowledge about the issue?
· Why do you find this issue compelling?
3. I will also be interested in what you don’t know (or are at least unsure about) regarding the issue. Brainstorm/freewrite/publish answers to the following questions:
· What are the main questions you want to pursue/answer over the course of the semester? (Obviously these questions may change as you learn/think more about the issue.)
· How would you answer these questions right now and why? (Your answers may change significantly as you research the issue.)
· What more do you need to learn about the issue, and where might you go to find more information?
4. Finally, I will be curious to know what audiences you have in mind as you look ahead to future assignments. Brainstorm/freewrite/publish answers to the following questions: