Swamped with your writing assignments? Take the weight off your shoulder!
– Expanding our lens
Leadership is about personal accountability to do the right thing the right way within the context of any situation. It may be independent of your position description at work, yet it is very much expected of you as a professional.
Module objectives related to this assignment:
1. Discuss transformation of professional nursing leadership in 21st Century environments
2. Identify styles and theories of leadership
3. Identify importance of leadership development
4. Discuss innovation and adaptability as leadership attributes
5. Evaluate evidence-based leadership competencies
Course objectives related to this assignment:
• Analyze and compare the evolution of leadership roles in nursing.
• Apply evidence-based leadership strategies that lead to positive outcomes in nursing and health care agencies.
In consideration of your learning activities, address:
1. Reflect back on your perception of professional nursing leadership when you first became a nurse. How has your perception of leadership in professional nursing changed? What does ‘being a leader in the profession’ mean to you? What are your thoughts about adaptability, personal accountability, and responsibility to be a leader in the profession? (MLO 1, 4)
2. What leadership competencies do you currently possess and what is the selected ones where skill development would be useful? (You may want to reference Heinen et al 2019, Table 2. You may also refer to the optional self-assessment – Appendix in Grossman & Valiga, Ch. 2) what leadership style would you like to exhibit? (MLO 1-3, 5)
3. List one accessible and specific resource (or developmental activity) to help you build leadership skills in at least one of your identified areas of need. (MLO 1, 3, 5)
• Your concise primary post (~ 400-600 words) should clearly address new insight gained after completing and reflecting on the learning activities. Incorporate application to your current and/or future nursing practice. At least two APA-formatted scholarly sources.