Swamped with your writing assignments? Take the weight off your shoulder!
The textbook discusses Utopian visions and reform movements of early U.S. history. Have you ever considered what your utopia would be? In this discussion, we’ll try something different.
Imagine it is 1840, and you and your followers want to start a new community. Please design your own utopia following these instructions:
1. Write the name and give the location of your utopia. Please make sure that it’s within the U.S. boundaries of 1840 (California, Texas, Hawai’i and Alaska would be excluded).
2. How do you make your living?
3. What is your policy on children?
4. What is your policy on marriage?
5. How will you defend yourselves?
6. What form of governance will you have?
7. What are your religious beliefs, if any?
8. Finally, design a flag and post it. Use this Flag Making App (Links to an external site.) to create the flag
Remember, it’s 1840! No electricity. No cars, etc.
Post your utopian vision. Read the other utopian visions, and when you have found the utopia you think is the best one, send me an e mail with your vote. You don’t have to post responses, but you may. You must vote to earn credit for the assignment.
YOU MAY NOT VOTE FOR YOUR OWN UTOPIA (otherwise we’d have a tie, with everyone receiving one vote). The top 5% of the vote getters will receive 20 points extra credit. In a face to face class, the winners get a candy bar, but I can’t offer that to you in this class. A word to the wise… early posts usually garner more votes (but not always). Late posts never win.
******Finally, when you submit your vote please be sure to include the name of the person and the title of their utopia.******